Wednesday, 19 February 2014

swapping skills

Now you know I make a lot of quilts. A lot of quilts. Some might say too many quilts (husbeast?) and it does sometimes feel like we are wading through quilts to get into bed or to find a seat on the couch.

I've always wanted to learn how to crochet but I've never managed to find the time. Pinterest has been fuelling a burning desire to own a crochet blanket for ages and I regularly hunt on ebay for them just in case I see the perfect one, problem is there's too many and none of them have a personal feel. It's just like going to a shop and buying one, which I wouldn't do with a quilt.

It got me to thinking that back in the olden days we wouldn't buy something we really wanted if we had a skill we could swap with someone else and it made me realise that we're all sitting on skills that could be shared around. I make quilts so how about offering up a quilt for a blankie? It was worth a shot, and so I posted a little note on instagram (and actually got inundated with offers - far more offers than I thought possible) and I'm now swapping 2 quilts for 2 blankies with 2 different people.

Sarah (you can find her on twitter and instagram as @sairzey) is making me an amazing flowers in the snow blankie (the pattern is by Solveig on ravelry. Find it here) and I'm making her a scrappy trip along using botanics by Carolyn Friedlander (inspired by this scrappy trips by Michelle).

photo credit @sairzey on instagram

Tracy (@buttonbeautiful on instagram and twitter) is making me this scrappy granny square (she is ridiculously fast and is onto the edging already - I think she has some kind of super fingers). I gave her a few pointers as to what I had in my mind and she has hit it perfectly.

photo credit @buttonbeautiful on instagram

In return I'm making her a giant star (using Jeni's fantastic pattern which I will never tire of) from Blythe (by Robert Kaufman) and Michael Miller painter's canvas as the background. I'm quite a lot in love with this quilt (which is now with Trudi waiting to be quilted), and might have to make another one.


I know I could have gone out and bought blankets that were already made, but swapping the skills with others feels really special. I know that once my blankies are home and being used they'll be loved a million times more than if I'd have just bought them, they're more personal and have stories behind them rather than just receipts.

I don't know about you but it feels like something we should all do. Now I need to find someone to make me dresses in return for quilts....but maybe I should get these quilts finished first.

24 comments:

Katy Cameron said...

Skills swaps are the bestest! Didn't Lynne just make you a dress though? :oD

verykerryberry said...

I can make more dresses than I can make quilts- quilts take forever!

Kay said...

This is a great idea, can't wait to see your lovely crochet blankies. Learning to crochet has been on my list for the last 3 years, I blame the fact that I am left handed and all of the books are right handed.

Jantine said...

I agree, very smart!

Darcy said...

This is a wonderful idea and I adore the blankets being crocheted for you!

Valerie said...

Such a lovely idea!

Debbie said...

An awesome idea! Good for you for making it happen!

Samantha said...

Crafty swaps are the best! I need to parlay my sock knitting skillz into something someday...

Ella said...

Totally wish I knew how to crochet. I'm a knitter and a quilter. So so many blankets/quilts.

Tsoniki said...

Fantastic idea!

kinkatink said...

What a great idea! A friend of mine and I are doing stash swap at the moment - she has a lot. An awful lot of wool, and I have an over flowing cupboard of fabric. She got my parcel last week. I can't wait for mine next week!

Tamie said...

This is such a wonderful idea. Even though I really appreciate several other crafts, I don't want to add them to my list of WIP's. Plus there is the expense of more craftiness. It really works to let everyone do what they love and excel at. How is the husbeast doing?

Flying Blind... said...

Swap Shop, da duh duh da duh da... - oh you'd make a great Noel Edmonds xxx

Leanne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leanne said...

These are all beautiful projects!

Auntie Pami said...

Oh snap. Nailed it. Those will be the most treasured items because of the love woven into the fibers.

Sara said...

Wow that is amazing! I saw your post on IG. Wanted to do it too,but with the inevitable of going into labor any day now with baby girl swapping skills is not in the cards! Unfortunately. I can totally relate to wanting a knitted or crocheted blanket and especially to have it be from a loved one or a friend is HUGE! It's REALLY not the same when it is bought from a random stranger.

mascanlon said...

So a clever idea and makes so much sense in this wonderful community..

RingaRingaRosie said...

What a great idea! I wish I'd seen it, though I'm a pretty slow crochet-er so maybe not :-)
Mind you, I'm a faster sewer so when you're ready for a dress swop, let me know!

Catherine said...

I love the idea of skill swapping. I read an article about a town (in America?) Where everyone did that over a weekend, what they achieved was amazing

Bennett and Graves said...

Brilliant! More reasons to do what You do and for them to do what They do and everyone wins.

diane said...

Win win situation for all concerned.

Sarah_L_N said...

Love that idea, those blankets look like they are going to be beautiful :)

Archie the wonder dog said...

I love a skill swap!

Post a Comment

I try to reply to comments as often as I can. Sometimes my life gets a bit too busy but please know I really appreciate each and every one!